GOTO Academy NL
November 15th-16h | Simon Brown | Amsterdam
'Software Architecture for Developers' at a glance
€1399 excl. VAT
2 days, 09:00-17:00
Location & Delivery
Location: GOTO Academy Amsterdam
Address: Vlaardingenlaan 15 1062 HM - Amsterdam - Netherlands
Course delivered in English
Software developers and architects; all levels of experience
Why should you attend?
In this Masterclass Simon Brown (author of 'Software Architecture for Developers') will give you an introduction to a pragmatic and practical approach to software architecture; including technical leadership, communication and how to balance upfront design with agile approaches. Software Architecture for Developers is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern software architecture, specifically aimed at software developers.
This Masterclass will cover:
- The essence of software architecture
- Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration
- The things that you really need to think about before coding
- How to visualise your software architecture using the C4 model
- A lightweight approach to documenting your software
- Why there is no conflict between agile and architecture
- What "just enough" up front design means
- How to identify risks with risk-storming
Agenda - Day 1
- What is software architecture?
- Architecture vs design
- The importance of software architecture
- Architectural drivers
- Quality attributes
- Software design exercise
- Review and feedback
- Does the solution satisfy the architectural drivers?
- A definition of the software architecture role
- Technical leadership and the different leadership styles
- Technical skills
- Soft skills
- Software architecture and coding
Visualising software architecture
- Do you understand the diagrams?
Agenda - Day 2
- Visualising software architecture
- Diagramming anti-patterns and typical problems
- The "model-code gap"
- Abstractions and creating a shared vocabulary with a ubiquitous language
- An overview of the C4 model
- Notation and tips for better diagrams
- System Context diagrams
- Container diagrams
- Component diagrams
- Documenting software architecture
- The importance of documentation
- Writing lightweight supplementary documentation using a "software guidebook" or arc42
- Managing technical risk
- Quantifying and prioritising risk
- Identifying risk with risk-storming
Software architecture in the delivery process
- Waterfall, RUP, agile, etc
- The conflict between architure and agile
- Approaching software architecture in a pragmatic, lightweight way
- How much up front design is enough?
- Discussion, questions and wrap-up
Are there any prerequisites?
Some experience building software; no laptops needed
Would you like to join as a group? - Contact us here
About the trainer Simon Brown
Simon is a consultant specialising in software architecture, and the author of Software Architecture for Developers (a developer-friendly guide to software architecture, technical leadership, and the balance with agility).
He’s also the creator of the C4 Software Architecture Model and the founder of Structurizr, which is a collection of open source and commercial tooling to help software teams visualise, document, and explore their software architecture.
You can connect with Simon on Twitter @simonbrown
See Simon in action