GOTO Academy NL
June 13th 2018: Spring Boot (1.5 + 2.0)
*****Early Bird Sale Ends 9th of May. Price will go up*****
About Spring Boot
This course is fully updated to cover the latest Spring Boot 2.0 release. Significant differences between the 1.5 and 2.0 release are highlighted throughout the course so that 1.5 users will both learn their version of the framework as well as what to expect when migrating to 2.0.Spring Boot makes it easy to create stand-alone, production-grade Spring based Applications that you can "just run". It takes an opinionated view of the Spring platform and third-party libraries so you can get started with minimum fuss. Most Spring Boot applications need very little Spring configuration.
1. Spring Boot overview
Provides a quick overview of what Spring Boot is and what it isn't, the features it provides, and some ways of quickly getting started with building a new Boot-based application.
Covers Spring Boot's auto-configuration: what is this important feature, what sort of auto-configuration is provided out-of-the-box, how does it work, and how to tune or override it.
3. Configuration files
Discusses configuration support in Spring Boot: what type of configuration files are supported, where does Boot look for configuration values and in what order, and support for type-safe configuration properties and relaxed binding
4. Fat JARs & Embedded Servlet Containers
Explains how Spring Boot can package applications as self-contained fat JARs with an embedded servlet container like Tomcat or Jetty. Also covers registration of servlet-related components and how to choose for a traditional WAR format if you don't want to use fat JARs.
5. Build system
Introduces the plugins that Spring Boot provides for building your applications with Maven or Gradle and the managed dependencies support it provides.
6. Web development
Provides an overview of what Boot support is there for building web applications, including serving static resources, using WebJars, and error handling.
7. Developing with Boot
Covers the Spring Boot Developer Tools and Boot's comprehensive testing support built on top of Spring's integration testing framework.
8. Production-ready features (actuator, health-checks, metrics, logging etc.
Explains Spring Boot Actuator endpoints, how to enable and secure them (significantly different in Boot 1.5.x versus 2.x), its built-in support for exposing metrics and health checks, and configuring logging including special Logback support
Next to these presentations, the course contains several hands-on exercises and leaves enough room to cover additional questions and topics that come up.
- Create stand-alone Spring applications
- Embed Tomcat, Jetty or Undertow directly (no need to deploy WAR files)
- Provide opinionated 'starter' POMs to simplify your Maven configuration
- Automatically configure Spring whenever possible
- Provide production-ready features such as metrics, health checks and externalized configuration
- Absolutely no code generation and no requirement for XML configuration
About the trainer
Joris is an absolute expert when it comes to Spring. He has been educating developers about the Spring Framework for over 10 years having started as a Senior Consultant at Interface21 (formerly SpringSource, now Pivotal), in April 2007. His role there was training Java developers in Spring and Java EE technologies, as well as providing technical consultancy.
His extensive experience with Spring means that he can provide a lot of tips, tricks and real-world examples.
In 2012 Joris joined Trifork Amsterdam, where he works as Manager Technology Delivery as well as a hands-on architect.
Courses: Core Spring, Enterprise Integration, Spring Web, Spring Boot
What our students say about Joris
- "Great instructor with good presentation skills. Direct and to the point"
- "Excellent! I have had some bad experiences with technical trainers, even from reputable companies. This trainer, however is not only very knowledgeable but also knows how to explain complicated concepts and has extensive experience in the field so he has a lot of real-world examples to use."
- "Joris was very good and has a broad knowledge of the individual subjects and always adds some extra tips and tricks to the content."
- "Really skilled profesional."
- "He can make anyone understand anything :)"